Fair Local Taxation Act 2020
2020 CHAPTER 16An Act to improve the collection of local taxes.
|Author(s)||The Rt Hon George Vere|
|First reading||2020 July 29|
|Royal assent||2020 September 27|
|Commencement||2020 September 27|
Be it enacted by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:・
1 Commission for land-value tax
- A joint commission shall by established by Her Majesty's Treasury and the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government to study a land-value tax to replace Council Tax and local business taxes as the method of local taxation
- This commission shall investigate:
- the minimum level of land-value tax required to fund local governments without deficits
- how much revenue the Government can expect to raise at the level of taxation agreed upon per section 2a.
- how far into the future the aforementioned level can sufficiently fund local governments
- The commission shall consist of experts and civil servants appointed by the two departments as follows:
- Two experts on land use and local government policy appointed by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government
- Two experts on tax policy and economics appointed by Her Majesty's Treasury
- Two civil servants each from Her Majesty's Treasury and the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government
2 Reevaluation of Council Tax Property Values
- The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government shall be granted the authority to carry out a reevaluation of all property values in the UK
- Upon the completion of this reevaluation, the Ministry shall present its findings and draft recommendations on how to adjust the Council Tax in accordance with the new values
3 Short title, commencement and extent
- This Act may be cited as the Fair Local Taxation Act 2020.
- This Act comes into force on royal assent.
- This Act extends to the whole United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.