A bill to provide for the establishment of Northumbria as a constituent country of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland; and for connected purposes
Antonio J. Linares
||2020 July 2
1 The Borders of Northumbria
- Northumbria shall be recognised as a constituent country of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
- The borders of Northumbria shall be, subject to a referendum in each of the counties to which the borders encompass, the area encompassed by schedule 1; the borders encompassed by Northumbria shall be by region:
- The region of North East England
- The region of North West England
- The region of Yorkshire and the Humber
- The borders of Northumbria are contingent on the approval of the populace of each region via the referenda established in Section 3.
2 The Legal Jurisdiction of Northumbria
- There shall exist the legal jurisdiction of Northumbria.
- The area encompassing the legal jurisdiction of Northumbria is that of the borders established in Section 1.
- All legislation that refers to the legal jurisdiction of England and Wales prior to this Act shall default to include Northumbria.
- Separate referenda shall be conducted in each of the regions encompassing the borders of Northumbria as established in section 1(2).
- The question on the ballot and the possible answers are as such:
- The question shall be: ‘Do you wish for the region of [Region] to be a part of the constituent nation of Northumbria?’
- Possible options to answer the question shall be: ‘Yes’ or ‘No.’
- Such a referendum is considered to have failed if less than 65% of the result is for the ‘Yes’ option established in section 3(2b).
- In the case that the referendum fails, the region concerned remains a part of the constituent nation of England and the relevant aspects of section 1(2) shall be amended to remove the associated region.
- In the case that the referendum fails in any region while passing in at least one, schedule 1 must be amended to reflect the amendments made to section 1(2) as per section 3(4).
- In the case that less than 50% turnout is achieved in a referendum, the associated referendum is considered to have failed.
- In the case that the referendum taking place in the region of North East England fails to pass, this Act will not come into force.
3 Extent, Commencement,
and Short Title
- This Act may be cited as the Northumbria Act 2020.
- This Act comes into force on the passing of the referendum in North East England.
- This Act extends to England and Wales.