This Act was authored by the Rt Hon Dame Victoria Ames MP as a Private Member's Bill.
Taiwan Support Act 2019
2019 CHAPTER 19An Act to secure the democracy of Taiwan by providing for its defence.
Be it enacted by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—
1 The defence of Taiwan
- The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland will make available to Taiwan defence articles and services to secure the democratic character of its political system enjoyed by the people of Taiwan.
- The Prime Minister and the Parliament shall determine the nature and quantity of such defence articles and services based on the needs of Taiwan, to be assessed regularly by the Ministry of Defence.
- The Prime Minister is directed to inform the Parliament promptly of any threat to the security of the democratic system enjoyed by the people of Taiwan.
2 Diplomacy with Taiwan
- Programs, transactions, and other relations conducted or carried out by the government of the United Kingdom with respect to Taiwan shall be carried out by the British Office Taipei, or a comparable successor as the Prime Minister may designate.
- Any ministry or office of the government of the United Kingdom is authorized to sell, loan, or lease property to perform administration and technical support functions and services for the operations of the British Office Taipei as the Prime Minister may direct. Reimbursements shall be credited to the current applicable appropriation of the ministry or office concerned.
- Any ministry or office of the government of the United Kingdom is authorized to acquire and accept services from the British Office Taipei as the Prime Minister may designate.
3 Extent, commencement, and short title
- This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
- This Act shall be referred to as the "Taiwan Support Act 2019".
- This bill will come into effect upon receiving royal assent. (2019 June 30)