This Act was authored by James Krall, on behalf of Her Majesty's Government.
Abortion (Northern Ireland) Act 2019
2019 CHAPTER 18An Act to extend abortion rights to Northern Ireland.
BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—
1 Modification of previous acts
- The Abortion Act 1967 is modified as follows:
- Amend the text of Section 7(3) to read:
'This Act does not extend to Northern Ireland provided that the devolved government of Northern Ireland has passed appropriate legislation on abortion.'
- Insert a new subsection, Section 7(4), reading:
'In this section "appropriate legislation" means legislation that has been passed after the 28th of April 2019, and adheres to all relevant human rights law. Such legislation is assumed to adhere to all relevant human rights law until it is proven otherwise in a court of law.'
2 Extent, commencement, and short title
- This Act shall be referred to as the "Abortion (Northern Ireland) Act 2019".
- This Act will come into effect upon receiving royal assent. (1 June 2019)